[Accessibleweb] Senate bill 6501

Rick Ells rells at u.washington.edu
Mon May 10 08:55:06 PDT 2004

Interesting piece of legislation. (Bill text is at
http://www.leg.wa.gov/pub/billinfo/2003-04/Senate/6500-6524/6501-s_sl_03292004.txt

It appears to put the burden on the publisher to provide an electronic
version of the published material so that the content can be made
available for students with "print access disabilities."

I see some management puzzles for this law. The wording of part (2) seems
to imply that the request for material is on a per case basis. It seems to
say you have to ask once for each student who will receive the electronic
version of the document, which could be an administrative headache. Also,
what entity at the UW does the negotiation to determinal what e-format is
acceptable?

It also says the e-version will be provided "on media [that] must be
copy-protected or the public or private institution of higher education
shall take other reasonable precautions to ensure that students do not
copy or distribute." Can the e-version be placed on a Web site - is
password and ID authentication enough to comply?

There are some neat ideas in there, such as the e-version must retain as
much of the "structural elements" of the original publication as is
reasonably possible. I find it interesting that their fall-back version
type is HTML, to be used when the publisher and institution cannot reach
agreement on some other technology. Good choice, but getting from hardcopy
to HTML can be an intense process.

Still, given all the work Dan Comden and others are doing to convert
hardcopy into e-formats for handicapped, I think this is great.

|- Rick Ells - 543-2875 - rells at cac.washington.edu - Rm 011S MGH Bldg -|
|- http://staff.washington.edu/rells/ -|