[Accessibleweb] Senate bill 6501

Terry Thompson tft at u.washington.edu
Tue May 11 20:56:56 PDT 2004

I agree with Rick's comments. This legislation is promising, but the
process called for by the legislation is for Disability Services to
submit individual requests for materials to the publishers, upon receipt
of which publishers must deliver accessible versions "in a timely
manner". What constitutes a timely manner is not defined, and I wonder
if this process is adequate for getting accessible materials quickly
enough to meet students' needs, particularly if documents are complex.

To me, the most interesting component of this legislation is a section
Rick referred to, which concerns "structural integrity". Here's a quote
from (5)(c):

"Structural order of material shall be maintained. Structural elements,
such as headings, lists, and tables must be identified using current
markup and tools. If good faith efforts fail to produce an agreement.
the publisher. shall provide the instructional material in a verified
and valid HTML format and shall preserve as much of the structural
integrity. as possible."

The question I'll be exploring in our lunch meeting next Thursday is
this: Do either Microsoft Word docs or PDF files provide adequate
structural integrity?

Hope you all can make it. Bring your opinions, and be ready for a lively
discussion! Here again is the meeting info:

Date/Time: Thursday, May 20, Noon to 1pm
Location: Mary Gates Hall, Room 015L

Terry Thompson
AccessIT/DO-IT
The University of Washington