[Accessibleweb] Test requested: Closed-captioned web videos

Harry Love hlove at u.washington.edu
Thu May 27 11:30:54 PDT 2004

Thank you for reviewing the videos, Terry. We appreciate your help.
And thank you also for the suggestions. We were concerned about the
amount of text in the caption as well. The captioning standards you
mention say this:

"Experience has shown, however, that much of the caption-viewing
audience prefers to have a verbatim or near-verbatim rendering of the
audio; therefore, any editing that occurs nowadays is usually for
reading speed only. Strive for a reading speed that allows the viewer
enough time to read the captions yet still keep an eye on the program
video."

Initially we tried to use a summary of the points mentioned in the
audio. I found that this worked as long as the audio was turned off or
muted. With the audio turned on it was very difficult for me to follow
along with the video. Moving my eyes between the video and the text and
listening to audio that didn't match up with the text shifted my brain
into information overload mode. Consequently, I had to turn off the
audio, or turn off the captions, or close the player altogether and go
get coffee.

Perhaps the solution is to say less in the audio portion? If we edit
the audio down to the essential points, we could provide a verbatim
caption that would allow users to read, listen, and follow the video.

Any thoughts on that? Or do you know if there is a guideline for
summarizing audio in a way that blends in with the audio/video? I
didn't find any mention of this in the WGBH guidelines. I have also
explored using textual summary screens before and after the video, but
they don't work well for this type of video. At least, they don't work
for videos of this length. Perhaps cutting them into shorter
scenes--say 10-20 seconds--would make that possible?

Harry