[Accessibleweb] Test requested: Closed-captioned web videos

Terry Thompson tft at u.washington.edu
Thu May 27 15:18:48 PDT 2004

Harry,

I sampled one of your videos (the Introduction) with a colleague who is
deaf a short while ago. He had some interesting insights.

He said he didn't mind the four lines of captions, and felt that the
longer captions were actually easier for him to digest than shorter
segments would be if the shorter segments disappeared too rapidly to be
read, which sometimes happens. So I guess the most important
consideration is timing - making sure the captions flow smoothly and are
synchronized with the video, without requiring that the user be able to
read them at warp speed.

Another of my colleague's observations though was that the video is at
first confusing since there's so much text, and so little action. The
first half of the Introduction video just has a few long static screen
shots, each of which itself has lots of readable text. Combine that with
up to four lines of captions (which due to their length don't change
frequently), and it gives the impression that the video is paused. Plus,
there's so much text on the captured screen he wasn't sure if he was
supposed to be reading the screen text, or the caption text, or if both
were the same.

I like your proposed solution:

>Perhaps the solution is to say less in the audio portion? If we edit

>the audio down to the essential points, we could provide a verbatim

>caption that would allow users to read, listen, and follow the video.

By saying less in the audio, you might also be able to trim some of the
still video out so it seems less static.

Terry