[Accessibleweb] Test requested: Closed-captioned web videos

Harry Love hlove at u.washington.edu
Fri May 28 11:53:09 PDT 2004

Thank you to everyone who tested the videos and to those who wrote to me
with suggestions; all of the feedback was excellent. We will begin
exploring the issues discussed and implementing some changes in the way
we record and produce these videos. Our hope is that everyone will
benefit from these design decisions: "universal design," as Terry
mentioned in one of his comments.

Thanks to Mailman, all of these suggestions are also archived on the Web
as well (see the link in the email footer).

*A note to anyone thinking about using Camtasia*
Camtasia has the ability to produce videos in many formats, including
AVI, QuickTime, Flash, and RealPlayer. We went with RealPlayer because
the file size output was optimal compared with the other options, and
the video clarity was ideal. The downside is that Camtasia's codec for
RealPlayer is only available on the Windows platform. In this regard,
Flash would be our next best choice, as it also produces small files,
has good video quality, and is available on Windows, Mac, and Linux.
Our goal is platform- and browser-independence.

However, I have not found a tool--aside from the Flash authoring
software itself--that allows for the creation of standards-based
synchronized media captions in Flash. MAGPie creates captions in SMIL
format, a W3C recommendation. After the timing is sorted out, updates
to captions can be made with any text editor, such as Notepad. And, as
SMIL is an open standard, any media player developer may implement the
SMIL specifications. The same cannot be said with any certainty for
proprietary media formats.

If you have created accessible captions in Flash, or have worked with a
tool that does, please let me know.

Cheers,
Harry