[Accessibleweb] Invitation to program to increase participation in
sherylb at u.washington.edu
Tue Sep 25 18:31:24 PDT 2007
We would like to invite you to participate in a workshop from 3 to 6 pm on
November 6 called "Computing for Everyone - Increasing the Participation
of Individuals with Disabilities in Computing Fields," sponsored by the
AccessComputing Alliance. Located at the Microsoft Campus in Redmond,
Washington, this workshop is offered as part of a larger meeting of The
National Center for Women and Information Technology (NCWIT).
You are welcome to attend the entire NCWIT workshop which lasts all day,
or attend just the smaller workshop.
The Alliance for Access to Computing Careers (AccessComputing) is a
project funded by the National Science Foundation aimed at increasing the
participation of people with disabilities in computing fields at all
levels. The "Computing for Everyone" workshop will be a combination of
lectures and breakout groups where participants will learn about disabled
students, ways to make their classes and departments more accessible, and
about how they can participate in the Alliance. There will be a panel of
disabled students who will describe their personal experiences in
succeeding in the computing field. There will opportunities for
participants to share their own experiences with their students with
1. Introduction: What are the characteristics and capabilities of
students with disabilities?
* Data on disabilities in IT and other fields
* Accomplishments of disabled scientists and engineers
2. Panel of Students with Disabilities
* Students will describe their own experiences
* Question and answer period (group activity)
* Sharing experiences with students who have disabilities
3. Making Your Departments and Classes Accessible
* Access technology
* Universal design
* Accessibility checklist (group activity)
4. AccessComputing Alliance - what can the Alliance do for you and how
can you contribute to the Alliance goal?
* The AccessComputing Knowledge Base
* Communities of Practice, Capacity-Building Institutes, etc.
Register at http://www.ncwit.org/meet.nov07.access.html by 10/15/07. This
site also has logistics information.
Drs. Richard Ladner and Sheryl Burgstahler
Co-Directors, AccessComputing, www.washington.edu/accesscomputing/
University of Washington
More information about the Accessibleweb