[Accessibleweb] Public humiliation time

Dylan Wilbanks wilbanks at u.washington.edu
Mon Nov 5 14:19:05 PST 2007

I launched a new home page for the School of Public Health over the weekend:
http://sphcm.washington.edu/

And as things are usually done around here, I really didn't get in much accessibility testing and zero usability testing. (Sigh.)

I ran the site through Cynthia Says and Watchfire's Bobby testing replacement and think I've hammered down the major issues. I also ran it through the Colorblind Web Page Filter (http://colorfilter.wickline.org/), and it looks like the contrast is OK.

It all seems OK to me. The modified Suckerfish dropdown menu I'm using really worries me -- you can tab through the list pretty easily, but something doesn't seem right about it. Maybe it's because I don't have tabindex set anywhere.

So. I'm throwing it out to all of you. Where have I screwed up? What am I missing? Something about this design really bothers me from an accessibility standpoint, but I can't figure out what it is.

(Maybe it's the fact the home page user interface points to an underlying information architecture that doesn't exist. In other words, the interior pages look nothing like the home page, and worse still, the nav links on the interior pages don't resemble the home page in the least.)

Thanks.
dw

Dylan Wilbanks
Web Producer
School of Public Health and Community Medicine
University of Washington
F-350 Health Sciences Bldg
1959 NE Pacific St
Box 357230