[Accessibleweb] Public humiliation time

Terry Thompson tft at u.washington.edu
Mon Nov 5 19:10:40 PST 2007

Hi Dylan,

I think you've done a great job overall. This site has a well-structured,
accessible, and aesthetically-pleasing design. Regarding the Suckerfish
menus, I'm personally not a big fan. They are technically accessible to
keyboard users and screen reader users, but not all that usable. Keyboard
users have to tab through every link, inlcuding those that are nested two
levels deep. That's a lot of tabbing if they just want to get to, say,
"Research", or any of the other top level menu items.

I prefer UDM4 (http://www.udm4.com). It's dependent on Javascript for full
functionality, but allows for a more intuitive keyboard model. Users can
navigate by tab just as they do with Suckerfish, but can also move up, down,
left and right through menus with arrow keys. It's also highly customizable
so you could keep the current look of your menus.

Terry Thompson
DO-IT, Computing & Communications
University of Washington
tft at u.washington.edu