[Accessibleweb] Accessible menu system without popup/dropdowns

Dylan Wilbanks wilbanks at u.washington.edu
Fri Nov 30 15:22:31 PST 2007

> I'm seeking an easier solution than CSS (i.e., javascript) to

> replace a set of menus, and I'd like it to be politically

> correct (e.g., http://www.udm4.com).

> The catch is most programs/options I have found are all for

> popup/ dropdown submenus. I don't want this; I want all menu

> levels to be static, other than the "you are here" hint.

> That may be all you need to read to help, but if you want

> more info (e.g., context), here ya be:

> The site in question is http://depts.washington.edu/poeweb.

> Then, here's an example of a site done for us by UW Creative

> Services that uses only CSS for the menus:

> http://wsg.washington.edu

> This works great but the somewhat byzantine CSS may be a bit

> unwieldy for the client, who may have little understanding of

> CSS (other than that which Dreamweaver so horrifically does

> when you want auto-pilot styles...ugh).

I'm unclear about what you want to do here. Is the issue that you want to
create a menu where the content is separated from the style? Do you want
different submenus to pop out depending on where you are on the site?

Could you clarify a little better what you're trying to do here?

Thanks.

dw

Dylan Wilbanks
Web Producer