[Amath-seminars] Kirsten Fagnan's Thesis Defense Jan 14

Randy LeVeque rjl at amath.washington.edu
Wed Jan 6 15:30:19 PST 2010

PhD Thesis Defense

Speaker:    Kirsten Fagnan

Title:          High-resolution Finite Volume Methods for
Extracorporeal Shock Wave Therapy

Time:         10:30 am

Place:        108 Fishery Sciences Building
                 ( Near Recycled Cylces, UW police and Agua Verde -
Map: http://www.washington.edu/maps/?l=FSH)

Abstract:

Extracorporeal Shock Wave Therapy (ESWT) is a noninvasive treatment
for bone fractures that fail to heal, necrotic wounds and strained
tendons.  ESWT similar to lithotripsy, a non-surgical treatment for
kidney stone pulverization.  In this treatment a shock wave is
generated in waterand then focused using an acoustic lens or reflector
so the energy of the wave is concentrated in a small region. This
technique has been used since the 1980's, but the underlying
biological mechanisms are still being explored.  In this thesis we
have computationally investigated shock wave propagation in ESWT by
solving a Lagrangian form of the Isentropic Euler equations in the
fluid and linear elasticity in the bone using high-resolution finite
volume methods. We have also incorporated tissue-like materials into
the model through variation of the parameters in the Tait equation of
state.  This work differs from prior modeling of ESWT in that we are
solving a full three-dimensional system of equations so we can model
complex bone geometries, and our formulation of the equations enables
us to investigate shear stresses generated within the bone.

In this talk I will give a brief overview of shock wave therapy, and
prior modeling efforts.  Then I'll discuss the set of equations we use
to model the wave propagation and show some results validating this
approach.  I will show results from three-dimensional calculations
that provide insight as to how doctors might optimize shock wave
therapy for nonunions and heterotopic ossifications.  I will also give
a brief overview of the computational resources used to perform and
analyze the three-dimensional calculations.  Finally, I will discuss
avenues for future work and other potential uses for the code we have developed.