[Amath-seminars] Applied Mathematics Seminar, Randall J. LeVeque, March 11, 2010

Eli Shlizerman shlizee at uw.edu
Mon Mar 8 10:29:07 PST 2010

Dear All,

This Thursday, March 11 at 4:00-5:00 pm at Sieg Hall 134 we will have
a seminar by Randy LeVeque from our department, initiating the
"Applied Mathematics Seminar" series - a talk given by a faculty
member in AMATH once a quarter.

Best Regards,
Andrea Barreiro and Eli Shlizerman

Applied Mathematics Seminar

Randall J. LeVeque,
Applied Mathematics Department,
University of Washington

Location: Thursday, March 11, 2010, 4pm-5pm, Sieg Hall, rm 134

Title:
Finite-volume Methods and Software for Wave Propagation Problems

Abstract:
Wave propagation problems arise in nearly every field of science and
engineering: shock waves in supernovas or traffic flow, elastic waves

in earthquakes or ultrasound, water waves in tsunamis or storm surges,
blast waves in explosions or volcanoes, to name but a few. While the
applications may vary greatly, the mathematical structure of such
problems is often very similar: they can all be modeled by hyperbolic
partial differential equations that are often derived via conservation
of physical quantities such as mass, momentum, and energy.

For the past 15 years I have been working with collaborators (including
many UW students) on the development of a general open source software
package, Clawpack, for the solution of conservation laws and other
hyperbolic problems, using adaptive mesh refinement to allow much greater
resolution where needed. We have also been working with researchers in
several departments at UW and elsewhere on the solution of specific problems.
In this talk I will give a flavor of the difficulties in solving nonlinear
hyperbolic equations and an overview of some current software projects
and applications, particularly in geophysics and biomechanics.