[Amath-seminars] Boeing Distinguished lecture - B. Engquist, Thursday Jan. 6

Eli Shlizerman shlizee at uw.edu
Tue Jan 4 21:00:01 PST 2011

Dear all,

This Thursday we will be hosting our first speaker of the winter quarter,
Bjorn Engquist from the University of Texas. See you there!

*Boeing Distinguished Lecture Series
*
*Bjorn Engquist*, Mathematics Department, University of Texas at Austin

*Multiscale methods for wave propagation*

*Thursday, January 6, 2011
*220 Guggenheim, 4:00 pm
(Reception to follow on 4th floor of Guggenheim)

Abstract:

We will give a brief overview of multiscale modeling for wave equation
problems and then focus on two types of techniques. One is the heterogeneous
multiscale method applied to problems with oscillatory velocity fields. In
this technique calculations in time domain on a refined grid is performed on
small subsets of the computational domain to achieve efficiency. We will
then consider fast algorithms for iterative methods applied to boundary
integral formulations and to variable coefficient wave equations in
frequency domain. These algorithms are based on approximative low rank
interaction and have near optimal computational complexity for high
frequency problems.