[Amath-seminars] Boeing distinguished lecture - Feb 10

Andrea Barreiro akb6 at washington.edu
Wed Feb 9 03:59:37 PST 2011

Dear all,

Our final Boeing speaker of the quarter will be tomorrow, Feb 10. See you there,

Andrea

Boeing Distinguished Lecture Series

Eric Zivot,
Robert Richards Chaired Professor of Economics
University of Washington

Factor Model Based Risk Management for Hedge Funds and Fund of Hedge Funds

Thursday, February 10, 2011
220 Guggenheim, 4:00 pm
(Reception to follow on 4th floor of Guggenheim)

Abstract:
A linear factor model based framework is presented that facilitates
semi-parametric risk
analysis for complex hedge fund portfolios in the absence of fund level
transparency. The framework allows for
parametric and semi-parametric fund risk decompositions by risk factor and
portfolio risk decompositions by constituent fund. Through use of Monte
Carlo simulation and re-sampling techniques, implied risk profiles at either
the constituent fund or aggregate fund-of-funds level can easily be
generated. As well as being pertinent to risk forecasting and monitoring,
the factor model framework also has application to style analysis, profit
attribution, portfolio stress testing and diversification studies. This talk
outlines such a framework in the context of a fund of hedge funds
environment.