[Amath-seminars] Tuesday Feb. 16 - Special AMATH Seminar - Shishi Luo (UCB)

Ulrich Hetmaniuk hetmaniu at uw.edu
Thu Feb 11 15:00:25 PST 2016

Dear All,

We hope you can join us for our special AMATH seminar on **Tuesday**
February 16th.

Speaker: Shishi Luo, UCB
Time: February 16th, 16h00
Location: DEM 004 (Dempsey Hall)

Title: Mathematical biology in the genomics era

Abstract
-----------
Biology is becoming increasingly quantitative, with large genomic datasets
being curated at a rapid rate. Both theoretical and data-driven approaches
are required to take advantage of these newly available datasets. I will
describe two projects in the field of evolutionary biology that span the
spectrum of these approaches. The first project is the development and
analysis of a Markov chain model of natural selection acting at two scales.
Simulations of the stochastic process as well as analysis of the scaling
limit lead to general properties of this complex evolutionary phenomenon.
The second project is a bioinformatics pipeline that identifies gene copy
number variants, currently a difficult problem in modern genomics. Using
hierarchical clustering to define a reference set of genes, we can
represent inter-individual variation in gene copy number in a tractable
form. This quantification of copy number variation in turn generates new
mathematical modeling questions that require the type of approach described
in the first part of my talk.

Speaker webpage