[Amath-seminars] Fwd: (reminder) Boeing Distinguished Colloquium: Emmanuel Candes (Stanford), Today, @4pm in SMI 102

AMATH Sysadmin amathsys at uw.edu
Thu Mar 10 11:51:12 PST 2016

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Pedro Maia <pedro.doria.maia at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 11:05 AM
Subject: (reminder) Boeing Distinguished Colloquium: Emmanuel Candes
(Stanford), Today, @4pm in SMI 102
To: amath-seminar at u.washington.edu, amath-local at amath.washington.edu,
Donsub Rim <sul.rim at gmail.com>, Applied Mathematics Sysadmin <
amathsys at uw.edu>

Dear all,

Please join us at our Boeing Distinguished Colloquia today.

*________________________________________________________________________________*

*Boeing Distinguished Colloquia*

*Emmanuel Candes (Stanford)*
Place: Smith 102 at 4:00pm

Title: Beyond Compressed Sensing: The Effectiveness of Convex Programming
in the Information and Physical Sciences

This talk discusses three concrete problems characterized by incomplete
information about an object of interest. The first is the century-old phase
retrieval problem where intensity-only measurements – phase information is
completely missing – are available about an image as in X-ray
crystallography, and we wish to recover the phase. The second is the
super-resolution problem where one can only observe the low-frequencies of
a signal and/or image due to physical laws, and wish to recover the
high-end of its spectrum as to ‘beat’ the diffraction limit’. The third is
a problem in data analysis and computer vision, where we observe only a few
entries in a data matrix – for instance, users’ preferences for a
collection of items – which may have been further corrupted, and we wish to
infer reliably all the missing and corrupted entries. To retrieve what
seems lost, we describe three simple solutions with a common theme, namely,
the use of ideas from convex programming. We present some theory explaining
when one can and cannot expect these methods to provide accurate answers,
as well as some applications.

--
Ben Lansdell and Donsub Rim
Applied Mathematics Systems Administrators
amathsys at uw.edu