[Amath-seminars] Boeing Seminar: Edward Ott, January 12th, 4pm, Dempsey 104

Gabrielle Gutierrez EllaG9 at uw.edu
Fri Jan 6 13:09:22 PST 2017

Dear all,

The Department of Applied Mathematics would like to invite the UW academic community to our next edition of the BOEING seminar featuring Professor Edward Ott (University of Maryland – College Park).

Day: Thursday, January 12th, 2017.
Place: Dempsey Hall 104
Time: 4:00-5:00pm with reception to follow in Lewis Hall (Lounge, 2nd floor)

Speaker: Edward Ott (University of Maryland – College Park)
Title: Collective Behavior of Large Networks of Simple Dynamical Units

Abstract: Large systems of many coupled dynamical units are of crucial interest in a host of physical, biological and technological settings. Often the dynamical units that are coupled exhibit oscillatory behavior. The understanding and analysis of these large, complex systems offers many challenges. In this talk I will introduce this topic, give some examples, and describe a technique for analyzing a large class of problems of this type. The results I will discuss will reduce the complicated, high dimensional, microscopic dynamics of the full system to that or a low dimensional system governing the macroscopic evolution of certain ‘order parameters’. This reduction is exact in the limit of large systems, i.e., N going to infinity, where N is the number of coupled units, and can be employed to discover and study all the macroscopic attractors and bifurcations of the system. [Refs.: E.Ott and T.M.Antonsen, Chaos (2008, 2009).]

For more information and updates about the BOEING seminars, please go to the website
http://depts.washington.edu/amath/news/boeing/ <http://depts.washington.edu/amath/news/boeing/>

Best wishes,
Gabrielle