[Amath-seminars] Thursday Seminar, Dempsey 104, 4-5pm, Viktoria Taroudaki

Loyce M. Adams lma3 at uw.edu
Tue Jan 24 10:34:58 PST 2017

Hi all,

This Thursday we have a local researcher giving the Thursday
seminar. She got her PhD with Dianne O'Leary (one of our Boeing
speakers this year). Below is the title and abstract. Please join
us.

Loyce Adams
-------
Speaker: Viktoria Taroudaki
Biomedical Imaging Computing Group
Department of Pediatrics
University of Washington

Title: Removal of blur and noise from MRI images and acoustical signals.

Abstract:

Signals that are transmitted and received from various devices
(hydrophones, MRI scanners, digital cameras) are in general
contaminated by blur and noise. For all the applications that are
associated with everyday life and research, from just image watching
to an elaborate exploitation of the signal in inverse problems of
imaging or acoustics, it is crucial that the signals are as clear as
possible so that the information they contain is retrievable with
reliability. In this talk we will show a statistical near-optimal
method to remove blur and noise from both one dimensional (acoustic)
and two dimensional signals (images). In particular, we will show
examples of how the method can be applied to MRI images, everyday
images (e.g. photos) and acoustical signals giving satisfactory
results for the associated applications.