[Amath-seminars] Reminder: Thursday seminar, 4-5pm, Dempsey 104, Viktoria Taroudaki

Loyce M. Adams lma3 at uw.edu
Thu Jan 26 10:09:14 PST 2017

Hi all,

Viktoria is talking today about the removal of blur and noise from
MRI images. I hope to see a lot of you there. I know today is a busy
day, but this should be interesting.

Loyce
-----
Speaker: Viktoria Taroudaki
Biomedical Imaging Computing Group
Department of Pediatrics
University of Washington

Title: Removal of blur and noise from MRI images and acoustical signals.

Abstract:

Signals that are transmitted and received from various devices
(hydrophones, MRI scanners, digital cameras) are in general
contaminated by blur and noise. For all the applications that are
associated with everyday life and research, from just image watching
to an elaborate exploitation of the signal in inverse problems of
imaging or acoustics, it is crucial that the signals are as clear as
possible so that the information they contain is retrievable with
reliability. In this talk we will show a statistical near-optimal
method to remove blur and noise from both one dimensional (acoustic)
and two dimensional signals (images). In particular, we will show
examples of how the method can be applied to MRI images, everyday
images (e.g. photos) and acoustical signals giving satisfactory
results for the associated applications.