[Amath-seminars] [Boeing Lecture] Carlos Castillo-Chavez (ASU) 10/26

Niall M Mangan niallmm at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 09:28:27 PDT 2017

This Thursday on Oct 26th, were are excited to have Carlos Castillo-Chavez
from Arizona State University present the Boeing Colloquia.

Prof. Castillo-Chavez is renowned in his field, holds numerous appointments
in the US and abroad, has published over 250 articles, and has mentoring 25
postdocs and 42 graduate students, about half of whom were from
underrepresented groups. We are honored to have him as our guest, don't
miss this opportunity!

Title: "Disease Dynamics and Evolution from Communicable to Vector Borne
Disease."
Time of Talk: 10/26 at 4 pm
Reception to follow in Lewis
Location: Smith 205

Abstract: The lessons learned two after years since the official
confirmation of an outbreak of Ebola hemorrhagic fever in West Africa 1
have yet to take hold of the global commons. The need for the systematic
exploration and evaluation of strategies aimed at mitigating the impact of
outbreaks of diseases like Ebola or Tuberculosis or Influenza or other
emergent or re-emergent diseases is now. The challenges are immense due to
continuous changing social landscapes due to local, regional and
international trade and travel. Outbreaks of SARS, influenza, Ebola, TB,
Dengue, Zika or Chikungunya illustrate the crucial role of the ecological,
social, political, and economic context within which diseases emerge. In
this lecture, I will explore ways of modeling emergent and re-emergent
communicable and vector borne diseases.

There are a few slots left to meet with Prof. Castillo-Chavez throughout
the day on 10/26:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/16LvRNKuForbZatm61GU8P3eQim4cYM8G0CFDcT7cWro/edit

Best,

Niall Mangan
Acting Assistant Professor
Dept. Applied Math University of Washington, Seattle
niallmm at uw.edu
niallmm at uw.edu