[Amath-seminars] [Boeing Lecture] Carlos Castillo-Chavez (ASU) Today!

Niall M Mangan niallmm at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 09:04:03 PDT 2017

Carlos Castillo-Chavez from Arizona State University will present the
Boeing Colloquia Today!

<https://amath.washington.edu/calendar?trumbaEmbed=eventid%3D125140366%26view%3Devent%26-childview%3D>
Title: "Disease Dynamics and Evolution from Communicable to Vector Borne
Disease.
<https://amath.washington.edu/calendar?trumbaEmbed=eventid%3D125140366%26view%3Devent%26-childview%3D>
"
Time of Talk: 10/26 at 4 pm
Reception to follow in Lewis
Location: Smith 205

Prof. Castillo-Chavez is renowned in his field, holds numerous appointments
in the US and abroad, has published over 250 articles, and has mentoring 25
postdocs and 42 graduate students, over half of whom were from
underrepresented groups. We are honored to have him as our guest, hope to
see you all there!

Abstract: The lessons learned two after years since the official
confirmation of an outbreak of Ebola hemorrhagic fever in West Africa 1
have yet to take hold of the global commons. The need for the systematic
exploration and evaluation of strategies aimed at mitigating the impact of
outbreaks of diseases like Ebola or Tuberculosis or Influenza or other
emergent or re-emergent diseases is now. The challenges are immense due to
continuous changing social landscapes due to local, regional and
international trade and travel. Outbreaks of SARS, influenza, Ebola, TB,
Dengue, Zika or Chikungunya illustrate the crucial role of the ecological,
social, political, and economic context within which diseases emerge. In
this lecture, I will explore ways of modeling emergent and re-emergent
communicable and vector borne diseases.

--
Niall Mangan
Acting Assistant Professor