[Amath-seminars] SIAM PNW Webinar Thursday Jan 11 at 3pm in Wan Conference Room

Randall J LeVeque rjl at uw.edu
Tue Jan 9 15:11:31 PST 2018

This Thursday will be the next seminar in the SIAM Pacific Northwest
Section Seminar series
<https://sites.google.com/site/siampnwsection/seminar-series>, by Leah
Edelstein-Keshet at UBC.

These talks are meant to bring together the SIAM community in our broad
geographic region and happen once per quarter.

This online talk will be broadcast in the Wan Conference Room (Lewis 208),
please join in! Or GoToMeeting information is later in this message.

Note also that we have a double-header, with an AMath seminar by
visitor Chi-Kwong
Li in the Wan room at 4pm.

------

Speaker:
Leah Edelstein-Keshet
Dept of Mathematics
University of British Columbia

Time: Thursday, January 11, 2018, 3pm PST

Title: Mathematical models for cell shape

Abstract:
In this talk I will describe work carried out in my group on the way that
cell shape and motility is regulated. We have developed models for
regulatory proteins (GTPases) that control the polarity and shape
(contracted or expanded) of mammalian cells such as white blood cells. The
models lead to interesting mathematics, as well as insight into behaviour
observed in experimental cell biology. I will review both partial and
ordinary differential equation versions of our models, and illustrate some
new methods devised to analyse these. I will conclude with examples of
ongoing collaboration with cell biologists.

SIAM Pacific Northwest Seminar

https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/778150365
<https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/778150365>

You can also dial in using your phone.
United States: +1 (571) 317-3122

Access Code: 778-150-365

Joining from a video-conferencing room or system?
Dial: 67.217.95.2##778150365
Cisco devices: 778150365 at 67.217.95.2

First GoToMeeting? Let's do a quick system check:
https://link.gotomeeting.com/system-check