[Amath-seminars] Reminder -- Boeing Colloquium tomorrow (January 25, 4pm)

N. Benjamin Erichson erichson at uw.edu
Wed Jan 24 12:51:27 PST 2018

Dear Colleagues,

Just a reminder that we have Prof. James Demmel visiting, who will
deliver the Applied Math Department's Boeing Distinguished Colloquium
tomorrow.

James Demmel, Boeing Distinguished Colloquium
When: Thursday, January 25 at 4 PM
Where: Smith Hall 102

The talk will be followed by a reception in the Lewis hall lounge.

The title and abstract are given below:

********
Communication-Avoiding Algorithms for Linear Algebra and Beyond

Algorithms have two costs: arithmetic and communication, i.e. moving
data between levels of a memory hierarchy or processors over a network.
Communication costs (measured in time or energy per operation) already
greatly exceed arithmetic costs, and the gap is growing over time
following technological trends. Thus our goal is to design algorithms
that minimize communication. We present algorithms that attain provable
lower bounds on communication, and show large speedups compared to their
conventional counterparts. These algorithms include direct and iterative
linear algebra, for dense and sparse matrices, direct n-body
simulations, and some machine learning algorithms. Several of these
algorithms exhibit perfect strong scaling, in both time and energy: run
time (resp. energy) for a fixed problem size drops proportionally to the
number of processors p (resp. is independent of p). Finally, using
recent extensions of the Holder-Brascamp-Lieb inequalities, we show how
to generalize our approach to algorithms involving arbitrary loop nests
and array accesses, assuming only that array subscripts are affine
functions of the loop indices.

********

Best,
Gabrielle & Ben