[Amath-seminars] Applied Mathematics Seminar on Thursday Feb 1 at 4pm

Randall J LeVeque rjl at uw.edu
Tue Jan 30 01:15:30 PST 2018

Hi all,

Professor David Masiello will give a seminar this Thursday February 1, see
below. David is an adjunct in Applied Math and was Niket Thakkar's thesis
advisor. He is interested in recruiting other Applied Math students to
work with him, so this talk may be of particular interest to PhD students
looking for interesting and challenging problems.

It should also be of general interest and all are welcome!

Time: 4:00pm on Thursday February 1, 2018

Place: Wan Conference Room, Lewis 208

Speaker:
David J. Masiello
Associate Professor of Chemistry
Adjunct Associate Professor of Applied Mathematics

Title:
Probing the Optical Responses in Metallic, Alloyed, and Semiconductor
Nanostructures with Fast Electron Spectroscopy

In this talk I will discuss the prospects for using a scanning transmission
electron microscope (STEM) to probe the optical excitations in metallic,
metal alloy, and semiconductor nanostructures. In particular, I will
describe how the STEM electron probe can simultaneously excite and
spatially resolve the full spectrum of electronic excitations in these
systems, providing greater information than standard far-field optical
probes. I will then discuss our efforts in constructing associated
analytical models and numerical simulation tools to elucidate a variety of
experiments in plasmonics and nanophotonics and use this as an opportunity
to highlight a number of our recent experimental collaborations.