[Amath-seminars] Thursday Seminar tomorrow, 4-5pm, Lewis 208 (Fred Wan Conference Room)

Loyce M. Adams lma3 at uw.edu
Wed Jan 31 12:12:04 PST 2018

Hi All,

Just a reminder that the Boeing speaker has cancelled for this
week. Instead we have Prof. David Masiello from the Department of
Chemistry, UW talking in our Fred Wan Conference room 208 in Lewis
Hall. Title and abstract are below:

Loyce Adams

Speaker:
David J. Masiello
Associate Professor of Chemistry
Adjunct Associate Professor of Applied Mathematics
Department of Chemistry
University of Washington

Title:
Probing the Optical Responses in Metallic, Alloyed, and Semiconductor
Nanostructures with Fast Electron Spectroscopy

Abstract:
In this talk I will discuss the prospects for using a scanning transmission
electron microscope (STEM) to probe the optical excitations in metallic, metal
alloy, and semiconductor nanostructures. In particular, I will describe how
the STEM electron probe can simultaneously excite and spatially resolve the
full spectrum of electronic excitations in these systems, providing greater
information than standard far-field optical probes. I will then discuss our
efforts in constructing associated analytical models and numerical simulation
tools to eludicate a variety of experiments in plasmonics and nanophotonics
and use this as an opportunity to highlight a number of our recent experimental
collaborations.