[Amath-seminars] Thursday Seminar, Feb 15, 4-5pm, Fred Wan Conference Room, 208 Lewis Hall

Loyce M. Adams lma3 at uw.edu
Mon Feb 12 23:17:36 PST 2018

Hi All,

This week our new postdoc Chay Paterson who is working with Ivana
Bozic on cancer modelling will be the speaker. Please come hear about
his research. His title and abstract are below.

Loyce Adams

----
Speaker:
Chay Paterson
Research Associate
Applied Mathematics
University of Washington

Title:
An exactly solvable spatial model of clonal selection in cancer

Abstract:
Two of the hallmarks of cancer are the accumulation of driver
mutations which increase the overall survival of cancer cells,
and their ability to spread. Here we describe an exactly
solvable mathematical model of a tumour featuring replication,
mutation and local migration of cancer cells. The model
predicts a quasi-exponential growth of large turmours, even
if different fragments of the tumour grow sub-exponentially
due to e.g. oxygen and space constraints.