[Amath-seminars] Reminder: Seminar today 4 to 5pm Fred Wan Room 208, Lewis Hall

Loyce M. Adams lma3 at uw.edu
Thu Feb 15 12:08:34 PST 2018

Hi all,

Just a reminder to come and hear what our newest postdoc Chay is up to!

Title and abstract are below.

Loyce
-----
Chay Paterson
Research Associate
Applied Mathematics
University of Washington

Title:

An exactly solvable spatial model of clonal selection in cancer

Abstract:

Two of the hallmarks of cancer are the accumulation of driver
mutations which increase the overall survival of cancer cells,
and their ability to spread. Here we describe an exactly
solvable mathematical model of a tumour featuring replication,
mutation and local migration of cancer cells. The model
predicts a quasi-exponential growth of large turmours, even
if different fragments of the tumour grow sub-exponentially
due to e.g. oxygen and space constraints.