[Amath-seminars] Boeing Colloquium on May 10th at 4pm --- Alan Perelson of Los Alamos

Travis Askham askham at uw.edu
Tue May 8 11:54:50 PDT 2018

Hello all,

Our next Boeing speaker is Alan Perelson. He is a senior fellow in
theoretical biology and biophysics at Los Alamos and recent recipient of
the Max Delbruck Prize in Biological Physics from the American Physical
Society "For profound contributions to theoretical immunology, which bring
insight and save lives."

Alan Perelson, Boeing Distinguished Colloquium
Time: Thursday, May 10th at 4pm
Location: Smith Hall 205

The talk will be followed by a reception in the Lewis Hall lounge.

The title and abstract can be found below.

Cheers,
Travis

Title: Using Applied Mathematics to Cure Viral Infections

Abstract: Although mathematics is sometimes thought of as being abstract
and not of much practical use,
theoretical ideas expressed mathematically changed the way we think about
viral infections and their
treatment. I will show how this approach lead to the introduction of
combination antiretroviral therapy
that has converted HIV from a death sentence to a manageable chronic
disease and how it now may
lead to a functional cure. I will also briefly highlight how mathematics
helped pave the way to the new
antiviral drugs now curing hepatitis C.

--
Travis Askham
Research Associate of Applied Mathematics at the University of Washington