[Amath-seminars] Today - Boeing Colloquium with Mark Levi, 4pm at SMI 205

Merav Stern merav.stern at mail.huji.ac.il
Thu Apr 11 09:30:10 PDT 2019

I'd like to remind you of our Boeing Colloquium today.

Speaker: Mark Levi
Title: Gaussian curvature, gyroscopes and some counterintuitive phenomena
in mechanics

Abstract: It is a fundamental fact of nature that a changing electric field
creates a magnetic field; for instance, a rotating electric dipole creates

a magnetic field perpendicular to the plane of rotation. Remarkably, a
superficially analogous situation arises in mechanics: a changing

mechanical force field creates a magnetic--like force upon a particle,
provided, however, that the change is of high frequency.

For example, a point mass placed in the gravitational field of a rapidly
spinning dumbbell behaves as if it were electrically

charged and in the presence of magnetic field. In this talk I will
outline this result (obtained jointly with Graham Cox), and will survey
some

other similarly counterintuitive phenomena, explaining some of them with
the help of differential geometry. In particular, I will explain how (and
why)

Gaussian curvature arises in the dynamics of gyroscopes, and how this
connection to differential geometry simplifies the classical exposition

(found in most books on mechanics, e.g., in Arnold’s Mathematical Methods
of Classical Mechanics).
--
Merav Stern