[Amath-seminars] Boeing Lecture on October 31st, Anima Anandkumar

Gabrielle Gutierrez ellag9 at uw.edu
Thu Oct 24 19:02:55 PDT 2019

Dear colleagues,

Next week on Thursday, October 31st, we will have a Boeing seminar with
Anima Anandkumar from Caltech. The details of her talk are below.

Title: Infusing Structure into Machine Learning Algorithms

Standard deep learning algorithms are based on a function-fitting approach
that do not
exploit any domain knowledge or constraints. This has several shortcomings:
high
sample complexity, and lack of robustness and generalization, especially
under domain
or task shifts. I will show several ways to infuse structure and domain
knowledge to
overcome these limitations, viz., tensors, graphs, symbolic rules, physical
laws, and
simulations.

To meet with our speaker, please sign up for slots here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-qnhRkL_NmviklEwlBXjzCZ_p3maMR5fysu1dHMLl6I/edit?usp=sharing

Please note that all meetings are to take place in Lewis Hall. If you do
not have an office in Lewis Hall, you may use room 304 in Lewis Hall to
conduct your meeting.

Best wishes,
Gabrielle

******
Gabrielle Gutierrez, PhD
Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Washington
www.gabriellejgutierrez.com <https://gabriellejgutierrez.com>