[Amath-seminars] Boeing Lecture tomorrow, October 31st, Anima Anandkumar

Gabrielle Gutierrez ellag9 at uw.edu
Wed Oct 30 16:25:31 PDT 2019

Dear colleagues,

Tomorrow, Thursday, October 31st, we will have a Boeing seminar with Anima Anandkumar from Caltech at 4pm in Smith Hall, room 205. The details of her talk are below.

Title: Infusing Structure into Machine Learning Algorithms

Standard deep learning algorithms are based on a function-fitting approach that do not
exploit any domain knowledge or constraints. This has several shortcomings: high
sample complexity, and lack of robustness and generalization, especially under domain
or task shifts. I will show several ways to infuse structure and domain knowledge to
overcome these limitations, viz., tensors, graphs, symbolic rules, physical laws, and
simulations.

If you have made a meeting with the speaker, please check your time slot here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-qnhRkL_NmviklEwlBXjzCZ_p3maMR5fysu1dHMLl6I/edit?usp=sharing <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-qnhRkL_NmviklEwlBXjzCZ_p3maMR5fysu1dHMLl6I/edit?usp=sharing>. At this time, meeting slots have been filled, but please check for openings in case someone cancels their meeting. The speaker will be based in Lewis room 304.
Please note that all meetings are to take place in Lewis Hall. If you do not have an office in Lewis Hall, you may use room 304 in Lewis Hall to conduct your meeting.

Best wishes,
Gabrielle

******
Gabrielle Gutierrez, PhD
Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Washington
www.gabriellejgutierrez.com <https://gabriellejgutierrez.com/>