[Amath-seminars] Boeing Lecture by Rachel Levy

oadekoya oadekoya at uw.edu
Thu Nov 7 12:18:00 PST 2019

Hello All,

This is just a final reminder about today’s Boeing Lecture that will be given by Dr. Rachel Levy (MAA), at 4pm in Smith Hall 205. Everyone is welcome and there will be a reception in Lewis Hall lounge after the talk.

Please find below the title and abstract of the lecture.

Title:

Mathematical Modeling from Kindergarten to Industry

Abstract:

Mathematical Modeling is taking off at all levels of mathematics education, because of its connections to data science and careers, the creativity inspired by problems with multiple solutions, and new connections in the K-12 curriculum. Programs like MAA PIC Math are preparing university faculty to engage their students in industrial problems. Modeling competitions such as the Mathworks Mega Math Challenge (M3 by SIAM) and Mathematical/Interdisciplinary Contest in Modeling (MCM/ICM by COMAP) are inspiring students internationally to engage in recreational mathematics that they report to be inspiring and fun.

In my research, I have explored whether students as young as Kindergarten can engage in mathematical modeling in ways that resonate with the ways my undergraduates at Harvey Mudd College engaged in industry-based problems. Here modeling means going beyond courses where models are presented as finished products to be used in clearly defined ways (such as a mass-spring-damper system in a typical differential equations course) to projects more like the mathematical modeling competitions that ask a big messy important question and leave it to the modelers to develop and justify a useful solution.

In this talk I’ll share with you some surprising insights from elementary school mathematical modelers and discuss how observing their teachers improved my own practice as a mathematical modeling educator and researcher.

Hope to see you all there!

Best Regards,
Ore Adekoya

OREOLUWA ADEKOYA