Don't Forget! APRA Virtual Seminar Offered at Two Northwest Locations on December 9, 2003

Kathryn Norris knorris at u.washington.edu
Wed Dec 3 14:58:57 PST 2003

The deadline is today! Don't forget to RSVP!
APRA-NW

Association of Professional Researchers for Advancement-Northwest

Two Universities Will Host APRA Int'l Virtual Seminar on Data Mining

Have you heard about APRA virtual seminars? They're real-time presentations by top research experts, broadcast over both Internet and phone hook-ups to participating groups nationwide. The technology allows for live Q&A from seminar participants.

Recognizing that the program fee may be too big a stretch for some of our members' budgets, APRA-NW is pleased to announce that two of our member institutions, Oregon State University and University of Washington, have offered to sponsor and host the virtual seminar at each university location. You are invited to attend this event free of charge. However, seating is limited, so please RSVP soon.

When: Tuesday, December 9, 2003, 8:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.

Where: Two of our member institutions will be hosting this event:
Oregon State University Foundation, Corvallis, OR (OSUF board room)
University of Washington, Seattle, WA (Allen Library Theater)

What: Virtual Seminar - Data Mining: The Next Generation
There has been a great deal of buzz the last several years about data mining and its role in prospect research. As a profession, we are starting to develop a shared understanding of data mining and have become more experienced with its sophisticated information technologies. Now is the time to advance to the next level: turning data mining discoveries into actionable research for major gifts. Join this seminar to explore effective strategies and techniques for:
a.. Applying modeling, profiles, and scores
b.. Creating segment contact strategies
c.. Using data to listen, learn, and relate
d.. Measuring results

Agenda:

8:30 a.m. - 9:00 a.m. Registration (Virtual Seminar will begin promptly at 9, so be on time!)

9:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. Joshua Birkholz and Randy Bunney, University of Minnesota Foundation

Joshua Birkholz, Prospect Development Analyst at University of Minnesota, began his development work primarily in prospect research. His work has evolved over the years into his recent position as Prospect Development Analyst. Josh is responsible for managing and extracting value from a surging volume of prospect and alumni data and strategic application of business intelligence, such as electronic screenings, market research, and survey data. He is also the resident department "guru" of predictive modeling and scoring. Josh has shared his experiences using data mining and predictive modeling with APRA MN in presentations and roundtable discussions. He has a BA from Concordia University and an MA from St Mary's University.

Randy C. Bunney, Director of Development Research at University of Minnesota, credits a penchant for discovery as sustaining his interest in development research for the past 15 years. A former research director at the University of Wyoming Foundation, Bunney currently leads a high-performance research team at the University of Minnesota Foundation. In 1994, Bunney created and co-founded Internet Prospector, an online newsletter and guide to Web resources and tools. He is the recipient of the 1998 Association of Professional Researchers for Advancement Service Award. Bunney enjoys the hard work of figuring out data meaning. He lives in Minneapolis with his wife, Julie, and daughter, Rebecca.

11:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. Networking

RSVP by December 3 to Kathryn Norris at: knorris at u.washington.edu. If you have further questions, please call 206-221-6412. Seating is limited, so reserve your spot today!

Cost: Thanks to the support of the Oregon State University Foundation and University of Washington, this program is offered at both university locations free-of-charge to APRA members and non-members alike.

Directions to the Oregon State University Foundation :

>From I-5, take Highway 34 west into Corvallis. When you cross the bridge into downtown, Hwy 34 turns into Harrison St. Take Harrison all the way through town. Turn left on 35th St., and follow it down almost a mile. The OSU Foundation is on the right hand side, just before the four-way stop at 35th and Western. Parking is free.

Directions to University of Washington: http://www.washington.edu/home/maps/northcentral.html?70,71,810,542
The Allen Library Auditorium is located on the main floor of the Allen Library. To get an expanded view of the campus, click on the turquoise box in the top-left corner of the map that says "home map."
Parking: http://www.washington.edu/admin/parking/visitday.html
Parking is available in the Central Plaza Underground Parking Garage, just west of the Allen Libary. The daily parking rate is $8, but refunds are distributed upon exit for visits under four hours.

Support APRA-NW! Join today by contacting Cecilia Matta at: cematta at comcast.net.