[APRA-NW] Job Opening - Los Angeles (Fw: Not just another job...)

Lisa Thomas thomasl at u.washington.edu
Thu Oct 20 09:04:38 PDT 2005

FYI, from CARA president James Rygg.

----- Original Message -----
From: Rygg, James
To: jrygg at coh.org
Sent: Thursday, October 20, 2005 8:46 AM
Subject: Not just another job...

Dear Colleagues,

On behalf of the City of Hope Development Research team, I am looking for someone who wants to make a difference.

Now, that's not just another cliché. It's the truth.

Have you ever had the privilege of hearing a patient tell their story of how your institution's doctors and/or research saved their lives? I have. Several times in fact. Have you ever had a grateful patient, turned fundraiser come up to you after learning what you did and say - "you find them, I'll ask them?" Have you ever heard a doctor explain to you, the cutting edge research they're doing and how it has and will save lives and then thank you for the work you do?

Would you like to work as part of a research team that always strives to have the best possible resources to do their jobs? Would you like to work at an institution where professional development is highly encouraged (includes memberships in APRA and the California state chapter of APRA - CARA)? Would you like to work for a non-profit organization where the development officers are fearless, willing to cold call, appreciate your work, ask for your input and consider you their colleagues?

I'm not saying that those who work in the Development Research office at City of Hope leave each day with a warm fuzzy feeling; however, I will tell you that we do have moments where we know the work we are doing is not only important, but essential and appreciated.

I will tell you straight up that this is the best institution I have ever worked for. I'm not claiming that it's perfect - but I do consider it be an exceptional place. We have great leadership, ambitious goals, great fundraisers, and the knowledge that we are making a difference.

Have I piqued your curiosity? If you're passionate about research and you want to take your career to the next level - you need to investigate this opportunity. I encourage you to send me a cover letter and your resume. Serious candidates may also contact me to learn the salary range for this position.

City of Hope, a NCI-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center, is an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution. Located in Duarte, California. City of Hope is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer, HIV/AIDS, diabetes, and other life-threatening diseases.

Our Credo - "There is no profit in curing the body,if in the process, we destroy the soul."

Our Development offices are located in downtown Los Angeles. We are near the Harbor (110) Freeway and within walking distance to both the Red and Blue Line of Metrolink.

Please note that if you are a consultant or free-lance researcher, I am not interested in your services at this time.

Thank you.

James Rygg
Senior Director, Development Research
City of Hope, Where the Power of Knowledge Saves Lives
jrygg at coh.org