[APRA-NW] REMINDER: APRA-NW Virtual seminar "Over the Hedge"

Jennifer MacCormack jmaccorm at u.washington.edu
Fri Jan 25 14:23:08 PST 2008

Hi APRA-NW'ers!

I want to remind all of you that APRA-NW will be hosting the upcoming live seminar, "Over the Hedge"-Understanding Hedge Funds, at Oregon State University and University of Washington. Curious about hedge funds? Clueless about hedge funds? Both? Well, this is your opportuntity to participate in a live seminar with Q&A about this fascinating, yet somewhat complex, industry and how we approach evaluating and rating hedge fund managers. Venue details are posted below. Please RSVP by January 29. Coffee and breakfast treats will be included!

This event is free for APRA-NW members. If you're not a member and interested in joining our growing chapter, please visit our website for details at http://www.apra-nw.org.

Looking forward to seeing all of you there!

Jennifer MacCormack
Program,Chair, APRA-NW

"Over the Hedge"-Understanding Hedge Funds - Presented by Michael J. Foote and Joyce Newton
The hedge fund industry has exploded, as have the paychecks of its millionaire and billionaire managers, creating a new pool of wealthy donors. How philanthropic are these prospects? This Virtual Seminar will provide an overview of this complicated financial sector and how it differs from PE & VC. Seminar topics will include basic facts and terminology, SEC regulations and documents and differences between traditional (mutual funds et al) and alternative investments (hedge funds et al). The presenters will provide examples to illustrate how a researcher might evaluate/rate a hedge fund prospect.

Portland
Friday, February 1
9:00 am -10:30 am
Oregon State University Foundation
707 SW Washington St., Suite 500
Portland, OR 97205
Directions:

>From North: Take I-5 South to Exit 300 B (exit on the right) and remain in the right-hand lane. Follow the signs to Morrison Street Bridge, and remain in the center lane while crossing the bridge. The Morrison Bridge takes you onto Washington Street. Follow Washington to Broadway. The Union Bank of California building, where we are located, is on the right. Go around the block by going past the building and turn right onto Park (one-way), right onto Stark (one-way) and then right onto Broadway (one-way) and into the garage under the building.

>From South: Take I-5 North to Exit 299 B (exit on the left) and follow signs to Front Avenue (Exit 1 A). The exit turns into Harbor Drive then continues onto Clay Street. Follow Clay and turn right onto 4th Avenue. From 4th, turn left onto Washington Street. Follow Washington to Broadway. The Union Bank of California building, where we are located, is on the right. Go around the block by going past the building and turn right onto Park (one-way), right onto Stark (one-way) and then right onto Broadway (one-way) and into the garage under the building.

>From West: Head east on Hwy 26 and take the Market Street Exit (center lane). Turn left onto 4th Avenue and left onto Washington Street. Follow Washington to Broadway. The Union Bank of California building, where we are located, is on the right. Go around the block by going past the building and turn right onto Park (one-way), right onto Stark (one-way) and then right onto Broadway (one-way) and into the garage under the building.

>From East: Follow I-205 south to I-84 west heading toward Portland. Remain in left-hand lane and follow the signs to OMSI/City Center. Remain in the right hand lane on the overpass and follow the signs to Morrison Street Bridge. The Morrison Bridge takes you onto Washington Street. Follow Washington to Broadway. The Union Bank of California building, where we are located, is on the right. Go around the block by going past the building and turn right onto Park (one-way), right onto Stark (one-way) and then right onto Broadway (one-way) and into the garage under the building.

RSVP Sara Wright at sara.wright at oregonstate.edu by January 29

Seattle
Friday,
February 1
9:00 am -10:30 am
University of Washington, Downtown offices
1200 5th Ave, 5th Floor conference room (follow signs from the 5th Floor)
Directions: If heading north on I-5, take Exit 165, Seneca Street (on left side), and continue straight on Seneca Ave. The IBM building is located immediately to your right when you exit on Seneca and 5th Ave. Southbound on I-5, take the Exit 165B, Union Street. Turn left on 5th Ave and proceed one block to University Ave. Building will be on your left, between University and Seneca.
Parking garages are abundant around the building but there is also metered street parking with a 2 hour maximum.
There is also 2 hour street parking and other non-UW parking lots around the building.
RSVP Jennifer MacCormack at jmaccorm at u.washington.edu by January 29.