[APRA-NW] JOB: Woodland Park Zoo

Lorna Chin Lorna.Chin at Zoo.org
Thu Apr 1 10:09:07 PDT 2010

Hi!

We have an opening for a Development Researcher at Woodland Park Zoo as our current researcher, Erin Pearson, is going back to school. Feel free to contact me with any referrals or let me know if you have questions about the position.
Applications are only accepted online https://woodlandparkzoojobs.silkroad.com/wpz/Employment_Listings.html

Development Researcher

SUMMARY:
Manages the prospect research program to help foster fundraising activities for Woodland Park Zoo. Assumes primary responsibility for meeting the prospect identification, research and tracking needs of development staff, enabling them to meet fundraising goals.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
*

Manages donor prospect management process: tracks prospect assignments, readiness, capacity and other relevant information; updates and maintains prospect tracking module; and tracks contact reports.
* Builds prospect identification and qualification strategy to promote long-term major gift prospect pipeline through constituent list segmentation, electronic database screening, peer/constituency screening and rating.
* Regularly collaborates with development staff to develop prospect identification, qualification, cultivation, solicitation and overall fundraising strategies.
* Evaluates and rates donor prospects based on known indicators of wealth and giving capacity.
* Researches and writes quality profiles on major gift prospects, which includes relevant biographical, philanthropic and relational information.
* Prepare development event brief bios, special focus prospect lists and other research reports.
* Keeps up with current events, national and local news, and industry trends. Shares relevant information with development staff.
* Provides research services and assistance to the development team and zoo-wide.
* Manages library of resources, maintains records and inventories, and recommends and acquires new research materials and resources.
* Assists in providing orientation and training of development officers and zoo staff in prospect research techniques and use of The Raiser's Edge.
* Assists in establishing, revising and updating department policies, procedures and standards.
* Safeguards the confidentiality of donor information at all times. Works with Development Services Manager to maintain data integrity and information/knowledge management.
* Performs other duties as assigned.

QUALIFICATIONS:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
*

Experience in prospect research function including research, profiles, financial analysis and recognition of wealth indicators.
* Ability to work independently, handle confidential information with discretion, and meet deadlines required.
* Ability to recall, recognize and communicate interrelated information pertaining to Zoo benefactors and prospects.
* Strong knowledge of database systems and strong computer skills using Microsoft Windows required. Experience with The Raiser's Edge is desired. Experience writing queries in a relational database is desired. Experience running and reading quantitative reports is desired.
* Knowledge of research tools and electronic sources available through the Internet required.
* Must maintain the professional and ethical standards set forth for the field by the Association of Professional Researchers for Advancement (APRA).
* Commitment to the mission of the zoo and the institution's Core Values.

EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor's (B.S. or B.A.) degree from an accredited four-year college or university and two to three years related experience; and/or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
COMPUTER SKILLS:
Strong computer skills including proficiency working with: Microsoft Office, particularly Word, Excel, PPT and Outlook; Windows environment, relational databases; and advanced Internet research and navigation skills. Experience with The Raiser's Edge is preferred.
APPLICATION DIRECTIONS
Online application through our Jobs page is required; no other forms of application will be accepted. Cover letter and resume are REQUIRED when applying for this position. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. https://woodlandparkzoojobs.silkroad.com/
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open until filled -- apply now!
Woodland Park Zoo is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any basis including race, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, disability, veteran's status, sexual orientation, or gender identity/expression.
Job Location
Seattle, WA, US.
Position Type
Full-Time/Regular

Thanks!
Lorna

Lorna Chin
Development Services Manager
Woodland Park Zoo
206-548-2485 | 206-548-2500 x1202
lorna.chin at zoo.org
Visit our website<http://www.zoo.org/> & blog<http://woodlandparkzblog.blogspot.com/>, follow us on Twitter<http://twitter.com/woodlandparkzoo>, view our YouTube<http://youtube.com/woodlandparkzoo> videos & be our Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/WoodlandParkZooSeattle> fan!!
Woodland Park Zoo saves animals and their habitats through conservation leadership and engaging experiences, inspiring people to learn, care and act.