[APRA-NW] APRA-NW Virtual Seminar - Researching Doctors: The Business of Medicine

Jennifer A. MacCormack jmaccorm at u.washington.edu
Tue Oct 12 13:48:15 PDT 2010

Hello APRA-NW'ers!

APRA-NW is pleased to offer the webinar, Researching Doctors: The Business of Medicine, presented by David Eberly from Children's Hospital Trust in Boston. We'll be offering this webinar at venues in Seattle and Portland on October 29. Please see below for more details and note that the start times at each location differ.
Cost
Members: Free
Non-members: $10

Interested in becoming a member? Contact our brand new Membership Chair, Mela Collins, at mela.collins at seattlechildrens.org, or go online at www.apra-nw.org<http://www.apra-nw.org>.

How about hosting an APRA-NW event? It's easier than you think! Please contact me at jmaccorm at uw.edu<mailto:jmaccorm at uw.edu>. We're always on the look-out for different places to hold webinars, roundtables, and other trainings.

To see a schedule of all APRA and APRA-NW events, please visit our website www.apra-nw.org<http://www.apra-nw.org>

Jennifer MacCormack
Program Chair, APRA-NW

Researching Doctors: The Business of Medicine
David Eberly, Director of Prospect Development
Children's Hospital Trust, Boston
More than ever, the business of medicine is under public scrutiny and financial strain. How much do doctors earn? How do they earn it? What are the differences among specialties and practice types? As medical practice and entrepreneurship merge, how do we understand and evaluate the multiple income streams of many academic physicians including royalties, patents, and fees? What patterns of change are we starting to see in different generations of doctors as they advance in their careers? More broadly, what is the culture of philanthropy among doctors? Where do they give, and how? What is the role of the medical foundation? With so much emphasis on cost savings at all levels of medicine-hospital, insurance company, and individual practitioner-what impact on overall medical philanthropy can we predict? Join David Eberly for an in-depth examination of the medical profession and its practitioners.
Venue Details for Seattle
Friday, October 29
9 AM - 10 AM
University of Washington
UW Tower, Floor 21, Magnolia Room (look for signs when you leave the elevator)
Metered street parking around the building or at lots on 12th Ave.
For directions, please visit http://www.washington.edu/facilities/uwtower/getting-here

Please RSVP Jennifer MacCormack jmaccorm at u.washington.edu<mailto:jmaccorm at u.washington.edu> by October 26

Venue Details for Portland

Friday, October 29

11 AM - noon
University of Oregon, Portland Center
Room 149
70 N.W. Couch St.
Portland, OR 97209
Maps and directions are available at: http://www.pdx.edu/campus
Please RSVP to Mary Gatlin at mgatlin at uoregon.edu<mailto:mgatlin at uoregon.edu>
Parking in the Smart Park off NW Davis and 1st is $7.00/day or $1.50/hour; parking in the open lots across from the Smart Park is $7.25/day. There is metered street parking off NW Couch St. I believe the cost to ride the MAX is $4.90 (all day/all zones) or $2.30 (2 hours/all zones). The MAX is also free for downtown in the "Free Rail Zone".