[APRA-NW] REMINDER! APRA-NW Summer Conference 2011

Jennifer A. MacCormack jmaccorm at u.washington.edu
Fri Jun 10 13:37:33 PDT 2011

2011 APRA-NW Annual Spring Conference

ANALYTICS FOR THE MASSES

June 17, 2011
Portland State University
Native American Student and Community Center
8:30am - 4:30pm

On June 17, APRA-NW will hold its annual Spring conference in beautiful Portland! This is the first time in APRA-NW's history that we'll be devoting our conference to analytics and data mining, and we're thrilled that the talented Josh Birkholz of Bentz Whaley Flessner, who literally wrote the book on data mining for fundraising, will be joining us as our featured presenter and will lead the afternoon's workshop in applied fundraiser analytics. Come join us in Stumptown for a day of geeky fun and applied learning!

To see the full agenda, please visit http://apra-nw.org/templates/System/details.asp?id=39617&PG=Events&LID=&CID=1151815#Agenda

SCHEDULE
8:30 am - 9:00 am Registration and light breakfast

9:00 am - 10:30 am Doing Away with the Rule of Thumb: The Present and Future of Analytics in Fundraising
Panelists: Amanda Jarman (Portland State University), Jennifer MacCormack (University of Washington), Lilith Lysistrata (University of Washington), Mark Koenig (Oregon State University), Amanda Terhes (Oregon State University)
This panel will explore how analytics is re-shaping our profession and improving our impact on fundraising.
The panelists will address ways they've used analytics in their own shops by:

* Building better prospect pools and portfolios

* Deciding who to research first

* Making the case for resources

* Defining prospect affinity quantitatively

* Creating in-house predictive analytics (without a degree in statistics)

10:45 am - noon Roundtable Discussions
Two sessions of moderated roundtables on different aspects of analytics and data mining for shops of all shapes and sizes. Learn from and share with your peers!

* Wealth screening - vendors, methods, best practices

* Capturing your organization's data (in preparation for modeling or just day-to-day)

* Affinity codes - ways to prioritize your prospect pools

* Prospect Identification - research resources and analytics

* Portfolio Analysis and Fundraiser Performance Metrics

* Buy-in: making the case for research resources at your organization

Noon- 1 pm Lunch

1 pm - 4:15 pm Keynote Speaker: Josh Birkholz, Principal, Bentz Whaley Flessner
Applied Fundraising Analytics

Major donors have characteristics that distinguish them from random donor populations. These predictive elements are unique to each institution. Predictive analytics is changing the way prospecting is accomplished throughout the nonprofit world. In this workshop, expect to understand not only the what, but the how. Joshua Birkholz, author of Fundraising Analytics: Using Data to Guide Strategy, will demonstrate the basics step-by-step using IBM SPSS Statistics. So bring your laptop and prepare for a brave new world of data.

If you do not have a laptop, no problem! Team up with someone who has one, or just follow along. We'll provide a link to download a two-week trial of SPSS as well as the sample dataset we'll use in the workshop.

Joshua M. Birkholz is a principal at Bentz Whaley Flessner, where he oversees the specialty consulting services. His team includes experts in development operations, prospect development, social media, constituent engagement, and analytics. Josh is the founder of the BWF analytics division, DonorCast, where he has built analytics programs for leading non-profits throughout the United States and beyond. And, he is the author of the sought-after book, Fundraising Analytics; Using Data to Guide Strategy.

4:30 pm Post-conference Happy Hour! Join us afterward to grab a bite and beer and talk shop!

REGISTRATION
Members: $60
Non-members: $85

Go here<http://apra-nw.org/templates/default.asp?id=39617&PID=567748> for online or mail-in registration.

LOCATION
Portland State University
Native American Student and Community Center
710 SW Jackson St
Portland, OR 97201

Campus Map http://www.pdx.edu/campus-map
The building is at J-6 on the map, at the corner of Jackson and Broadway. There is guest parking across the street at the Shattuck Parking Lot (next to Shattuck Hall) and two other lots on Broadway north of the Center, as well as street parking.

Also give public transportation a try using Tri-Met's Trip Planner<http://trimet.org/go/cgi-bin/plantrip.cgi>.

LODGING
APRA-NW has reserved a block of rooms at the University Place Hotel for Thursday, June 16 and Friday, June 17. You are welcome to reserve a room either night, both or extend your stay for the entire weekend at the same reduced rate of $92. Reservations will be taken on a first come, first served basis. Call University Place Hotel directly and mention you are with APRA-NW for the reduced rate.

University Place Hotel
866-845-4647
310 SW Lincoln Street
http://www.pdx.edu/cegs/university-place-hotel-conference-center

Please note that the conference takes place on Gay Pride weekend in Portland, so hotel rooms are booking up quickly.