[APRA-NW] APRA-NW: Valuating Private Companies: next Monday in Seattle

Karen Prater kprater at uoregon.edu
Mon Aug 13 16:43:48 PDT 2012

UPDATE: there is still plenty of room available for this thought provoking session.
If you are in the Seattle area next Monday, I hope you can join us.

Register Today! http://www.apra-nw.org/Default.aspx?pageId=1092815

Have you ever thought about valuing private companies?
Do you automatically say, 'No way, never!' to gift officers requesting you value a private company?
Have you ever agreed to value a private company, then found yourself a little lost?
Maybe you regularly review private company information, but could use some new tips.

As many of us have experienced, valuing private companies can often be a difficult task. Consider joining our colleagues from UW for an Info Exchange. Bring lots of questions, and expect to take home a better understanding of privately held companies, and whether or not you can incorporate these research techniques at your organization.

Valuating Private Companies: Knowing How and When to Dig Deeper
When: Monday, August 20, 2012; 9:00-10:00am
Where: UW Tower, Ravenna Room (22nd floor)
University of Washington
45th and Brooklyn
Use metered street parking or pay-by-space stalls in the UW Tower garage; many bus lines stop at 45th and University
Contact: Lana Harvey
harveyl at u.washington.edu<mailto:harveyl at u.washington.edu>
206.685.6843

Session Description:
Aside from what a Google search may tell us or the sometimes inconsistent data Hoover's provides, how else can we gather more information to better evaluate private companies?

Evaluating and rating private companies, and in cases the individuals who own them, can have a significant impact on who and how a development officer decides to solicit for a gift. But often, valuing a private company stumps even the most experienced development officers and researchers. With a better understanding of the information that's actually out there and knowing what you can find instead of searching for the impossible, you can reach a determination on whether or not an accurate rating or valuation of a company is possible.

Join us for a chance to hear from University of Washington Advancement's research strategists Matt Kujawa and Roger Tang who will discuss some resources to consider, how your fundraisers can be your best intel, and the evolution of private company prospecting and where we are now.

Matt and Roger will provide some examples of how they've evaluated companies in the private sector and will also be available to answer the questions you have about this topic. We encourage you to come with questions or feel free to submit your questions ahead of time.

Register Today! http://www.apra-nw.org/Default.aspx?pageId=1092815

Free to APRA-NW members and guests!

Karen N.B. Prater
Assistant Director, Analytics
University of Oregon, Prospect Management and Analytics
Phone: (541) 346-2010
Fax: (541) 346-1680
kprater at uoregon.edu<mailto:kprater at uoregon.edu>

This information is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL property of the University of Oregon. Any reproduction, dissemination or disclosure is prohibited.