[APRA-NW] Database and IT Specialist Opportunity at Evergreen!
hanlone at evergreen.edu
Wed Aug 15 17:42:14 PDT 2012
We have a position open for a Database and IT Specialist at The
Evergreen State College in Olympia, Washington. The position closed on
September 5th. Please help us spread the word!
Information Technology Specialist 2 (Database and IT Specialist)
Bulletin number: 2012-042NJ
Closing date: 9/5/2012
Note: The college will be closed on 9/3/2012 in observance of Labor Day.
The Evergreen State College is committed to prohibiting discrimination
and to building a diverse faculty and staff and has both a
edure> and an affirmative action plan
<http://www.evergreen.edu/diversity/affirmativeaction.htm> . We strongly
encourage qualified persons of all races, ethnicities, and sexual
orientations, people with disabilities, persons over forty, women,
Vietnam Era and disabled veterans to apply.
There is currently one full-time classified, overtime eligible
Information Technology Specialist 2 position available at The Evergreen
State College <http://www.evergreen.edu/employment/jobs/2012-042nj.htm>
. The candidate pool established from this announcement may be used to
fill comparable permanent, full-time, part-time and temporary vacancies
in the future.
The Evergreen State College is a progressive, public liberal arts and
sciences college located in Olympia, Washington, in the beautiful
Pacific Northwest. Since opening its doors in 1971, Evergreen has
established a national reputation for leadership in developing
innovative interdisciplinary, collaborative and team-taught academic
programs. The college has a vibrant undergraduate program, graduate
programs, and several public service centers that constitute a unique
academic setting. The college values a student-centered learning
environment, a link between theory and practice, and a multicultural
community of diverse faculty, students and staff working together.
Current enrollment is approximately 4,800. For more information about
Evergreen, please visit our college catalog or our website:
* Experience and training may be considered in salary placement.
* Salary range is $3,726 to $4,888 per month of full-time work of
* A full benefits package which includes: generous sick leave and
vacation leave each year; paid holidays; a generous medical, dental,
life and disability insurance package for employees and dependents;
retirement; deferred compensation and optional supplemental retirement
accounts. For more information about Evergreen's excellent employee
benefits, view http://www.evergreen.edu/payroll/employeebenefits.htm
* Staff are eligible for a free local bus/transit pass; and
* After completion of the probationary period, employees are
eligible for the tuition waiver program.
The Information Technology Specialist 2 (Database and IT Specialist)
serves as the primary customer relationship management (CRM) database
administrator for the Development and Alumni Programs team and as such,
mines the database and extracts data for the purposes of direct
marketing, maintains and updates data to ensure data integrity within
the database and prepares datasets for use by colleagues in direct mail,
e-marketing, telemarketing, and for research purposes.
NATURE AND SCOPE
Under general supervision of the Associate Vice President for
Development and Alumni Programs, the position follows established
procedures and protocols to contribute to the day-to-day delivery of
Evergreen's annual giving program, alumni programs communications, major
and planned giving programs and other development initiatives requiring
data and/or technical support. The position works collaboratively within
the Advancement Division and campus community to ensure data standards
are achieved and technology solutions are accessible to both highly
technical and non-technical staff. The position also provides general
technical support for Development and Alumni Programs technology
solutions. This position may assist in strategic information technology
planning for the Division.
* Bachelor's degree.
* Three years experience in the following areas:
* Mining and extracting data from CRM (customer
relationship management) database software, e.g. SCT Banner, Raiser's
Edge or similar, as well as maintaining the database and preparing data
for the purposes of fundraising, direct marketing, telemarketing and
* Using Microsoft Access and Excel to mine and to extract
data from a CRM database.
* Analyzing, designing, programming, installing and
maintaining computer software applications, hardware, telecommunications
and network infra-structure equipment, providing customer and technical
support in information technology and managing complex software
* Experience in higher education, fundraising, and non-profit
Customer Relationship Management (CRM) System Administration (75%)
* Develop, build and execute complex queries using a (CRM)
database for the purposes of direct marketing, telemarketing, research
(data mining), and reporting.
* Extract constituent segments and prepare segments for a variety
of uses including telemarketing, e-marketing, direct mail.
* Perform general maintenance of the constituent database to
ensure database integrity through extensive data clean up of database
constituent records including data entry.
* Hire, train and coordinate student employees for the purposes of
data entry and maintenance. Regularly check student work for accuracy.
* Maintain the database validation forms, control forms and other
related processes, as well as be responsible for associated
* Assure compliance with campus security protocols for computer
systems and in consultation with Computing and Communications assure
that systems unique to Development and Alumni Programs meet similar
* Collaborate and/or negotiate with the campus-wide Banner Users
Group on data entry standards, use of database forms, and other shared
and related issues.
Technical Support/Troubleshooting (10%)
* Serve as technical support for software applications for
Development and Alumni Programs including using, maintaining, testing
upgrades and new systems, and general troubleshooting. Software and
related systems include but are not limited to: Banner, CashNet On-Line
Giving, RuffaloCody CampusCall, Greater Giving Auction Pay, Basecamp
online project management system, My Emma (e-marketing).
* Provide primary technical support for Evergreen's Annual Fund.
Provide operational/technical support for the campus call center
including software application and hardware maintenance.
* Provide support for event management using Banner and
third-party software solutions.
* Resolve technical problems in consultation with Computing and
Communications and Client Services including interfaces between
Development and Alumni Programs and administrative computer systems,
network security and user role management.
Project/Upgrade Support (5%)
* Under guidance from project managers and in collaboration with
Computing and Communications, assist in implementing new applications
(e.g. alumni constituent community, matching gifts) and upgrading
existing applications (e.g. CashNet On-Line Giving, RuffaloCody
CampusCall telemarketing system) to meet strategic priorities including
defining the scope, scheduling design, maintenance, testing and quality
assurance of the applications.
* Assist clients with defining and prioritizing data requirements
and understanding the scope of the project including system capabilities
* Oversee the work of vendors responsible for installing the
* Coordinate projects related to including new sources of
information to the database (e.g. constituent screenings, alumni
directory, student roll, matching gifts).
* Work with Computing and Communications unit to establish and
utilize test and production environments for relevant modules of college
Training / Documentation (5%)
* In a collaborative environment assess training needs,
approaches, and course materials for Development and Alumni Programs
* Conduct user training, including but not limited to CRM database
and Microsoft Access.
* Create system and user documentation and instruct users on
* Identify and document data entry standards and update procedures
Additional Duties (5%)
* Field customer service requests and needs from across campus.
* Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
* Ability to mine and to extract data from databases for the
purpose of fundraising, direct marketing, telemarketing, specifically
using Excel and Access.
* Ability to develop, build and execute complex queries using a
CRM database for the purpose of direct marketing, telemarketing and
research (data mining), specifically using Excel and Access.
* Ability to prepare datasets for use in direct marketing,
fundraising, telemarketing, e-marketing.
* Ability to maintain CRM databases specifically related to
fundraising, direct marketing, telemarketing.
* Knowledge of CRM databases specifically related to fundraising,
telemarketing, direct marketing, e-marketing.
* Ability to maintain a constituent database and to employ
strategies for ensuring data integrity.
* Knowledge of alumni community, matching gift, and online giving
* Ability to use and to maintain alumni community, matching gift
and online giving software systems.
* Ability to develop, build and execute complex queries in order
to produce reports.
* Advanced skill and ability in using Microsoft Excel and Access.
* Ability to safeguard confidential information and to adhere to
database security protocols.
* Strong attention to detail.
* Ability to communicate specialized technical information in
understandable terms to management, faculty and staff.
* Ability to provide timely, comprehensive technical support,
including diagnostics, troubleshooting, and repair, for colleagues in
Development and Alumni Programs.
* Ability to assist with implementing new technology.
* Knowledge of fundraising terminology and Council for the
Advancement & Support of Education (CASE) Management & Reporting
Standards as well as generally accepted fundraising and accounting
terminology and principles.
* Ability to work effectively with culturally diverse staff,
faculty, students, customers and the public.
* Ability to establish and maintain effective collaborative
working relationships with diverse groups of employees at all levels
with the college.
* Ability to prioritize a variety of projects and assignments
requiring a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
* Ability to employ effective problem solving, analytical, and
time management skills.
* Ability to conduct system analysis related to Development and
Alumni Programs software.
* Ability to train end-users in basic business functions and
processes related to computer programs and applications and to create
associated training and documentation.
* Ability to hire, train and oversee student workers in data entry
projects and in doing so, ensure a high degree of accuracy in their
* Ability to thrive in a team-oriented, fast-paced collaborative
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
* Must provide proof of identity and employment eligibility within
three days of beginning work and may be required to submit to a
background check; and
* This position is assigned to part of the institution that is
covered by a union shop provision of the Department of Personnel/Higher
Education Division. Therefore, new employees are required to pay dues
to the Federation of State Employees within thirty days of their hiring
Please carefully read the job bulletin and submit all requested items by
the closing date listed above. The committee in its screening of
applicants will assume your abilities and experience include only those
elements specifically documented within your application materials.
TO SUCCESSFULLY APPLY AND BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION YOU MUST
COMPLETE AND SUBMIT ALL THE FOLLOWING REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS:
1. Possess the skills and abilities required to perform the position;
2. Complete the General Application form (Word
<http://www.evergreen.edu/employment/jobs/Application-2012.doc> | PDF
<http://www.evergreen.edu/employment/jobs/Application-2012.pdf> ); and
3. Complete a Key Skills and Abilities Inventory form (Word
ology_specialist_2_Advancement.doc> | PDF
ology_specialist_2_Advancement.pdf> ) to indicate your ability to
perform the essential functions of the position.
By submitting a completed application for this position you are
acknowledging that all of the information that you have submitted to
apply for this job is true and complete to the best of your knowledge.
You understand that The Evergreen State College may verify this
information and that untruthful or misleading answers are cause for
rejection of your application or dismissal if you are hired. If invited
for an on campus interview, you may be required to pay your own travel
Materials may be submitted using any one of the following options:
Email: jobline at evergreen.edu
Mail: The Evergreen State College
Human Resource Services, Library Bldg Room 3102
2700 Evergreen Parkway NW
Olympia, WA 98505
Fax: (360) 867-6823
Or in person to the Human Resource Services office, Libray Building room
Application materials submitted to the College become property of the
College and will not be returned.
To request disability accommodation in the application process, call the
Human Resource Services Office at (360) 867-5361 (voice), or (360)
867-6834 (TTY) or email your request to jobline at evergreen.edu.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 1810 bytes
More information about the APRA-NW