[APRA-NW] APRA-NW: Advance Conference Agenda!

Karen Prater kprater at uoregon.edu
Mon May 6 17:18:59 PDT 2013

________________________________
[APRA_NW_Chapter_rgb]

APRA-Northwest
A regional chapter of the Association of Professional Researchers for Advancement (APRA)

APRA-NW Annual 2013 Conference
Transformational Fundraising!
Friday, May 10th, 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Lewis and Clark College, Portland Oregon
Templeton-Stamm Meeting Room

SCHEDULE OF ACTIVITIES

8:30 a.m. Registration and Continental Breakfast

9:00 a.m. Welcome and Opening Remarks
Jessica Balsam, APRA-NW President
Hal Abrams, VP for Institutional Advancement, Lewis & Clark College

9:10 a.m. Transformational Fundraising ~ Four Perspectives
Elizabeth Dollhopf-Brown
Senior Director, Research and Prospect Management, University of Rochester
President, APRA International Board of Directors

Research: We'll discuss approaches to researching transformational prospects, including trends in the high net worth population, wealth and network analysis, the role of nuance, and a case study for a transformational prospect review session; followed by short roundtable

Prospect Management: We'll explore two common challenges in top of the pyramid prospect management: your best friends (high capacity, high engagement) and reluctant dragons (high capacity, low engagement); followed by short roundtable

Managing up: We'll talk about tools and approaches to strengthen your relationships with your boss, VP (and VIPS), your staff and fundraisers; followed by short roundtable

Analytics: We'll think about business challenges and how analytics can illuminate issues and how you can communicate your findings to get buy in, support and make a difference in your organization.

11:30 p.m. Lunch and Networking

12:40 p.m. APRA-NW Annual Business Meeting

1:00 p.m. Advanced Tracks

Dive deeper into the conversations from Elizabeth's keynote session. Select the track that best fits your needs. Be prepared to engage in conversation, talk about ideas and share information from your experience.

Research Track
A sixty minute, interactive conversation led by Elizabeth Dollhopf-Brown.
How to teach your frontline staff to ask for the research they really need to help move prospects forward; how to provide higher level research; how to package information to be easily understood and acted upon.

Prospect/Relationship Management Track
A sixty minute, interactive conversation led by Stacy Schoo of Portland State University and Jessica Balsam of University of Washington.
How to be a systems enforcer without being seen as a cop; how to manage the information frontline staff brings back; how to track moves management and solicitation planning.

2:00 p.m. Break!

2:15 p.m. Small Shop ~ Big Shop

Many of us have the same questions, but the answers can be different based on the resources available. By splitting up into one room for small organizations, and another for big institutions, you can hear speakers from an agency that more closely resembles you own.

Speakers from different size shops will address issues such as:

o Strategy/portfolio meetings: how are they organized, who attends, what's the agenda, how do you prepare; what is working and what isn't

o Partnering with development officers: how we can take what we learned from Elizabeth and put it to work in the weeks to come

o Prospects: assigning prospects for qualification calls, following up, inactivating

3:30 p.m. Closing Remarks

Adjourn to Porto Terra to continue the conversation!
Porto Terra: 830 SW 6th Ave., Portland OR 97204
503-944-1090
http://www.portoterra.com

Note: the Lewis & Clark Shuttle leaves for downtown at 3:51 p.m.

Miscellany

Free wifi access

select guest, then:
User name: apra
Password: apra at LC

Transformational Fundraising Fun Fact:

Lewis and Clark College is located on site of the former Fir Acres estate. The elegant Lloyd Frank home was designed by Herman Brookman in the 1920's, and now houses Lewis and Clark's administrative offices. Through a transformational gift-sale made by the Lloyd Frank family in 1942, the estate became the new home of the college.

Shuttle directions

The Pioneer Express (Lewis & Clark shuttle) provides free service from downtown Portland to campus once an hour. Look for a big bus that says "Lewis & Clark."
Catch the shuttle at 6th and Salmon in downtown Portland (walkable from most downtown hotels)
7:05am - arrives Templeton 7:37am
8:05 am- arrives Templeton 8:37am

[cid:image006.jpg at 01CE4A7D.CBF03E90]Driving directions

Parking is free; no permit is necessary. However, parking is limited - please take the shuttle if possible, and carpool if you can.

>From downtown Portland and other points north (I-5 southbound): Exit at Terwilliger Boulevard (#297). Stay in the right lane, which will circle back onto Terwilliger Boulevard. After passing over the freeway, stay on Terwilliger for 1.6 miles until you reach a roundabout.

>From points south (I-5 northbound): Exit at Terwilliger Boulevard (#297) and stay to the right. At the stoplight, take a right onto Terwilliger Boulevard. Stay on Terwilliger for 1.6 miles until you reach a roundabout.

To get to the preferred parking lots: take the third right off the roundabout. The campus will be ahead on your left. Turn at North Drive.

Karen N.B. Prater
Assistant Director, Development Analytics
University Development, Prospect Management and Analytics
University of Oregon = 1720 E. 13th Ave., Ste. 312 = Eugene, OR 97403
Phone: (541)-346-2010 = Fax: (541) 346-1680 = Email: kprater at uoregon.edu<mailto:kprater at uoregon.edu>

This information is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL property of the University of Oregon. Any reproduction, dissemination or disclosure is prohibited.