[APRA-NW] Virtual Roundtable for November: Excel tricks we love!

Susan Hayes-McQueen shq at uw.edu
Wed Nov 6 15:57:08 PST 2013

Hi everyone,

Did you know that APRA NW is hosting a webinar this month on XL Tips and Tricks, featuring the very talented duo of Jennifer MacCormack and Amanda Jarman? It'll be on Wednesday the 20th from 9:30-11, and details will be coming soon on how to join in. I'm very excited to learn how to wow my family and friends just before the holiday season!

In the meantime, I thought we could talk on the APRA NW listserv about our favorite XL tricks. They can be simple or complicated-don't assume that everyone knows everything you do!

So: What's your favorite thing in XL that others might not know about?

Here's mine:

It's in the Print dialog- and it's called "Scaling." Do you ever have a spreadsheet that is just a bit too wide to print on one page and you spend hours on column width and font size until everything is annoyingly screwed up? Well, FUSS NO MORE!!!!!

In the print dialog, the last thing on the left nav is called "scaling" and you can tell your printer to do the work for you! In this case, I've selected to print all the columns on one page. You can select it for rows too. It's lovely and makes your spreadsheet lovelier when printed.

-Susan Hayes-McQueen
Director, Advancement Research and Relationship Management
University of Washington

[cid:image001.jpg at 01CEDB08.D8645B40]