[APRA-NW] RE: Virtual Roundtable for November: Excel tricks we love!

Faulhaber, Christina faulhaberc at seattleu.edu
Wed Nov 6 17:01:51 PST 2013

[cid:image004.png at 01CEDB11.E2A16CC0]Great idea to share these. I like to use the filter feature for when what I am after is difficult to do with my query criteria, such as when I'd have to do a lot of merge queries to get at what I am after, or for trouble shooting groups that have shared data whose relationship is not clear (information from our financial aid office!). The Sort & Filter menu choice (at far right top) has a drop down for filter. After you select the row of cells you want to filter on (first row in my example), select the filter/funnel icon from the Sort & Filter drop down, and each cell in the row you selected is now able to be filtered on, by selecting the little triangle in the upper right of the filter cell. You can combine more than one filter at a time.
[cid:image007.jpg at 01CEDB11.E2A16CC0]

Very handy for large groups, but what I don't like about the filter is that I don't know how to get an accurate count of number of rows. The spreadsheet preserves the row numbers (understandably). So I resort to creating a new column next to the one I filtered on and then entering 1,2,3 in the first three cells of the column and dragging that down to get the count for the last row. I'm sure there's a more elegant way!

Christina