[APRA-NW] RE: Virtual Roundtable for November: Excel tricks we love!

Jessica S. Balsam jbalsam at uw.edu
Thu Nov 7 12:29:33 PST 2013

I'll chime in with one of my very favorite formulas, which relies on the IF function. I use this all the time to compare items in a list to see where the dupes are.

If you have a list of IDs, like this:
123457

123467

123497

123458

123457

123647

123467

And you want to de-dupe it quickly and easily, do this:

1. Sort the list by the ID field. I'll assume your ID field is in column A. Now it looks like this:
123457

123457

123458

123467

123467

123497

123647

2. In the first cell of an empty column, enter the formula: =IF((A1=A2),"DUPE","OK")

3. Copy the formula so it runs the entire length of your list. Now your new empty column says "DUPE" wherever there's a duplicate, and "OK" where there's no dupe.
123457

DUPE

123457

OK

123458

OK

123467

DUPE

123467

OK

123497

OK

123647

OK

If you just wanted to know if there were dupes or not, then you're done. But if you want to de-dupe your list, then carry on with these steps:

4. Highlight the whole column where your formula lives and copy it.

5. In the first cell of that same column, you're going to paste the data back in. But instead of just straight pasting, use "Paste Values" (right-click instead of using Ctrl-V to get this option). Now instead of containing the value "=IF(..." your cells contain the text "DUPE" or "OK" and therefore, you can sort on them.

6. Sort on your DUPE/OK column. All the dupes line up at the top. Delete all those rows, and voila! A de-duped list.

You can also use this to compare values in two different columns next to each other. Just change the cell reference accordingly, so it looks something like this:
=IF((A1=B1),"DUPE","OK")

Happy de-duping,
Jess

Jessica Balsam
Associate Director, Relationship Management
University of Washington Advancement
206-616-9170