[APRA-NW] HNWI Roundtable for Education Week

Laura Johnson johnsonl at uoregon.edu
Tue Dec 23 10:19:12 PST 2014

Other than trying out relationship-mapping tools, how else do organizations connect with the wealthiest people who are passionate about their work? How do you engage people who have no obvious affiliation?

In my experience, I’ve seen major donors who were receptive to outreach based on their youth/experiences in an organization’s community: e.g., someone who grew up in the area. They may want to give back to the place that got them started. People who benefited from the wider reach of your organization may be motivated to help build it up into a powerhouse.

For the record, a high academic achiever who grew up nearby may have used your university library in high school, and may have considered your university as an alternate choice. They may want to create incentives to help keep more of the ‘best-and-brightest’ in their hometown.

Information about education or hometown may not be readily known – but if a HNW individual shares it publically this is a red-flag of interest in your community, even if they don’t currently live nearby.

Laura M. Johnson
Prospect Analyst
Prospect Management & Analytics
University of Oregon