[APRA-NW] RE: Virtual Roundtable for January: Relationship Management

Cecilia A Hogan chogan at pugetsound.edu
Wed Jan 8 14:25:33 PST 2014

Hello Researchers,

We are doing things a bit differently. We are a small, private liberal arts college with six frontline fundraisers, their boss, and a vice president and a president interacting with prospects. I call this the equivalent of about 7.5 or eight fundraisers. No one else has major gift (people) prospect assignments. Our CFR office has one fundraiser/grantwriter with an assistant and she has a portfolio of corporate and foundation prospects. We are her supporters in that we help prepare our president and vice president for encounters with CFR prospects and we have helped design several of CFR's data mining and coding tools, but that's about it. So, all of this is about people prospects (who are almost exclusively alumni or parents of current students or alumni, with a few "friends" sprinkled in).

Portfolios and how they are populated: All prospects are qualified and assigned by the Research office. There are no qualified prospects who are not assigned (no "draw from" pool) and no prospects who are assigned from some other direction. Research is the only entity to determine philanthropic capacity and no one can be a prospect without a capacity rating, so there you go. (We love the recommendations we get from our team members and we're happy to explore those, of course, but we make the final decision about assignments.)

Our fundraisers have portfolios that include about one-half "local" prospects (the I-5 corridor, from Bellingham to Centralia) and one-half regional prospects. They each are assigned regions (Southern California, Northern California, Colorado, Minnesota, East Coast/North, Hawaii, etc.). Prospects we identify in regions go to the fundraiser with that region. One of Research's responsibilities is to balance the portfolios in terms of philanthropic capacity, so we use the local prospects to do that. In other words, everyone has a similar composition of the very wealthiest prospects and a similar opportunity to secure gifts.

Our fundraisers do not have individual monetary goals, but they do have aggressive contact goals (150 contacts per year). We believe that, if you get in front of the prospects, you'll get gifts. We don't want our fundraisers to ever, ever have a moment where they don't have someone to call, so our portfolios are large (about 300 for the frontline fundraisers). We have lots of ways to segment the portfolios - by capacity, by assignment date, by giving history, by last contact, by cultivation stage (we have a pretty detailed set of those), by a fundraiser ranking system, any combo of these and other factors - so we are not compromised by large portfolios. One of my concerns as a researcher is that the next generation of big donors are getting into the cultivation stream and I find if we have arbitrary cut-offs by capacity, that won't happen. Additionally, we have a very aggressive parent prospect identification program, so a portion of each portfolio is current parents.

On that contact goals idea, we have strict rules about what counts as a contact (face-to-face, rarely a phone call or an encounter at an event) and, frankly, you'll get no credit for a contact for which a contact report isn't filed. So we have a great, strong culture of contact reports. That is one of the very best gifts to Research - the history of the relationships is well documented.

We are a culture that is sort of against quitting the rich people. We believe that someone has to either demonstrate no capacity or no affiliation to be dropped (this is about alumni only; parents are different). I like to say "too rich to quit." After all, the fundraiser's job is to change inclination. In the old days, we used to expect a cultivation and gift to occur within a time period. Now our thinking is that life brings lots of changes and we can stay in the game over longer periods of time with little detriment to our program. We have well developed ancillary programs - our annual giving program, alumni and parent relations work, and donor relations, all working from other angles to nurture engagement.

Updating portfolios: Not my job is what I'd say. The fundraisers and their boss are managing their portfolios, reviewing them for changes and such. Research might come across some information and suggest something in that regard, and we are periodically asked to help a fundraiser evaluate a portfolio. We also have a couple of sets of prospect strategy meetings that help in this regard. We respond to research requests and we have a couple of communication vehicles to put prospects with fresh news in front of the team. All that helps keep the portfolios steaming, I think.

Cecilia
Cecilia Hogan | Director
University Relations Research

UNIVERSITY OF PUGET SOUND