[APRA-NW] Question about measuring "Retention"

Susan Hayes-McQueen shq at uw.edu
Wed Apr 8 15:31:22 PDT 2015

Hi Michael,

We look at this a few different ways-and I'm sure there are others who could expound upon this.

I would not look at the major donors the same way. One gift every three-five years is great for them. One MAJOR gift, that is. They can and should be giving something every year... So maybe it's not the size of gift after they've reached a certain threshold, but rather, have they given this year or not. Ideally, someone has a personal relationship with that person and so retention isn't maybe something you need to worry about-the relationship trumps any marketing strategy you might have.

So, if your $1M donor from last year doesn't give this year, it's not that you haven't retained the donor... maybe you might look at some other filters, like a three-year mean. It's also meaningless to donors b/c our fiscal years aren't the same necessarily as their giving cycles.

What is your goal in looking at retention? If it's too keep your numbers increasing, I would take out major gifts entirely.

-Susan