[APRA-NW] Question about measuring "Retention"

Michael Swenson - US MSwenson at WorldVision.org
Mon Mar 23 16:14:37 PDT 2015

Hi fellow APRA members,

We are interested in learning how other organizations measure retention of their major donors. Of course, the phrase "donor retention" can mean different things to different people, so we're interested in how you might define it for your organization. As we look at our donor base, we find donors that our "mid-sized" donors who give in the range of $2000 - $25,000 annually are very different than those who can give at larger levels (above $25K). Additionally, those who give what we call "mega gifts" ($1 million or more) in a single year behave differently than those at other levels of giving, and must be treated as such. Measuring retention at different levels of giving is likely required.

Any ideas, thoughts, or previous studies conducted in on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Michael L. Swenson
Director, Research Services & Operations
Prospect Development | Transformational Engagement
Phone 253.815.2697 Mobile 253.219-7949 email mswenson at worldvision.org<mailto:mswenson at worldvision.org> Skype - baycruiser1
Mail Stop 816 : P.O. Box 9716 : Federal Way, WA 98063-9716 USA

WE BELIEVE IN CHILDREN | www.WorldVision.org<http://www.worldvision.org/>
World Vision is a Christian humanitarian organization dedicated to working with children, families, and their communities worldwide to reach their full potential by tackling the causes of poverty and injustice.

This transmission is intended for the sole use of the individual and entity to whom it is addressed, and may contain information that is confidential and may not be disclosed under applicable law. You are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or duplication of this transmission by someone other than the intended addressee or its designated agent is strictly prohibited. Thank you.