[APRA-NW] creating lockdown/blackout periods when changing the appeal track status

Jessica S. Balsam jbalsam at uw.edu
Tue Mar 22 11:33:16 PDT 2016

This is an interesting question. Gift officers also move prospects in and out of their portfolios all year here at UW. Freezing all assignment changes for a period of time is not something we would do.

The only time we restrict assignment changes is if the gift officer has an asked proposal on a prospect. Then they are required to keep them in their portfolio until the fiscal year ends, to make the end-of-year performance reports accurate and transparent. By keeping the prospect active in their portfolio, then the fundraiser sees that prospect every time they review their portfolio, and they aren't surprised at the end of the fiscal year when they see their final numbers.

We in prospect management keep a running list of prospects to remove from portfolios and make all the removals on July 1 when the new fiscal year starts. There are maybe 50 of them total each year, for all 190 of our fundraisers.

Jess

JESSICA BALSAM
Associate Director, Prospect Management
Prospect Management, Research, and Analytics

206-616-9170
jbalsam at uw.edu<mailto:jbalsam at uw.edu>

[e-sig]