[APRA-NW] Discussion topic!

Karen Prater kprater at uoregon.edu
Wed Aug 16 11:02:15 PDT 2017

Hello Apra-NW-ers!
When planning, I start with the end date & work backwards to set the interim goals.
If the project doesn’t have a must-complete by date, then it helps me to pick a date & work back from there.
In other words, if I don’t set an end date, then I don’t stay as focused.

We’ve tried using Wrike and even Excel to keep projects organized. Sometimes it felt like I spent more time updating Wrike than working on the actual project. However, when coordinating with others, some sort of shared electronic system is helpful. The most important piece is communication & documentation. Whether using project management software, or even using email to summarize team meetings/decisions/’who does what, by when,’ regular communication is key to success.

Like Ginger, I’ve embraced low-tech this year. I started using the “bullet journal” style system. I spend a few minutes a day updating notes by hand. I can keep project notes, tasks, and other minutiae in one place just for me. I usually take my journal to meetings. I can add notes right in my journal, or the best part: when someone unexpectedly asks about a specific project, I can turn to my journal page & provide a quick update.

I too am curious how others balance long term projects with the daily deluge.

Karen

Karen Prater
Prospect Management & Analytics
541-346-2010 = kprater at uoregon.edu<mailto:kprater at uoregon.edu>