[Imap-protocol] DELETE

Philip Guenther guenther+imap at sendmail.com
Sat Jul 23 07:18:03 PDT 2005

Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> writes:

>RFC [3501, section 6.3.4] says:

> It is permitted to delete a name that has inferior hierarchical

> names and does not have the \Noselect mailbox name attribute. In

> this case, all messages in that mailbox are removed, and the name

> will acquire the \Noselect mailbox name attribute.

>But is it really wanted that the mailbox still exists and has

>\Noselect? I'm guessing this should mean that when doing LIST "" %, it

>shows up as \Noselect since it has children, but LIST "" * shouldn't

>need to show the mailbox at all since it shows its children anyway?

Correct. This is already corrected via an erratum. The RFC editor
keeps errata lists for RFCs; their list for RFC 3501 can be found at
http://www.rfc-editor.org/cgi-bin/errataSearch.pl?rfc=3501

However, that's slightly out of date; the current list can be snagged
from
ftp://ftp.cac.washington.edu/imap/rfc3501-errata

Mark: the rfc3502-errata file in that same directory has the same
text for old vs new. 1988 -> 1998?

Philip Guenther